Saturday, September 3, 2011

"Is he gay, or European?"

I went to Venice two days ago with Silvia for a "girl's day out," which was a very much needed day for both of us. She got to practice her English, I got to practice my shopping. Venice is only a three and a half hour bus ride from Villach, starting at 6:50 am and returning at 9:30 pm, giving us just enough time to tour the city by boat, shop for gifts, and experience all the italian commodities--pizza, pasta, leather jackets, high heels, hand-painted masks, gelato and cappacinos.

One topic, of many which were discussed between Silvia and I, was homosexuality. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but I am always seeking a diverse set of opinions on the matter, especially from different countries. Now, back in America, I went to a Broadway show, "Legally Blonde." (Yes, it is also a movie, but i really suggest seeing the musical, because it is hysterical) One of the main numbers was entitled, "Is he gay, or European?" Walking down the streets of Seattle, it is sometimes very clear who is and who isn't, but here in Villach, and especially Venice, it is impossible.  I asked Silvia if it is common to be openly gay she said, "No, never." She discussed about the difficulties someone has in the workplace if they are gay and it would not be accepted here if a gay couple raised a child. I told her I knew many successful families who have raised socially healthy children in America. She looked as if I just discovered that the world was not flat. My impression of Europe was that people were so open and comfortable in society, that homosexuality would be accepted as a natural lifestyle. However, with no known gay rights in this society, it appears that is not the case. Yet, with the italian men, wearing nice leather shoes and finer clothing than myself (and the majority of my fashionable girlfriends), I couldn't help but wonder, "Is he gay, or European?"

Well, the answer is that he is definitely not American.

(Please note that I am PRO-gay rights, and I am sorry for you if you are not.)

ALSO, PICTURES!!!

Beautiful Venice

Where are the roads?

Oh the foods...

Actually, right when this picture was being taken, an old venetian woman yells and shoos me to get off the boat (I briefly sat on the side), as if I was a pigeon about to poop on it. The man in the right shares a laugh with us.

So, see the water behind me? Yeah, the main plaza floods when it rains, so everyone walks barefoot, even through all the pigeon caca. Also, these pigeons like to land on your head.

Notice, this city is quite old...
Carnivale!

Mmm.. Aperol Spritzer, a good way to end the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment