Sunday, August 28, 2011

Austrian Glacial Surverying Trip

Holchamkees Glacier, Second largest in Austria
For six days, I was a part of an eight-member team to survey the glacial movements in the Austrian Alps. We started on foot, with all surveying equipment (including a Total Station and tripod), food, beer, and all the other necessities for six days of glacier hiking, which was more than 7000 meters in elevation difference and about 60 km or more of distance. Let's just say this was the biggest hiking expedition I have ever done in my life. Here is an excerpt from my journal on the fifth day of the trip:

"Now at the Celler Hütte, Andreas' favorite place in the whole wide world, and I can see why after five days of the hardest hiking--with many life threatening climbs--this Hütte is a mountainous oasis. Tomorrow we will wake up early (as we always do at sunrise) and survey two of our last six glaciers. Then it is only a four-hour hike back down to civilization, bakeries, and warm showers.

I believe I might be the first American EVER to have seen and hiked the Austrian majestic mountain range, the Hohe Tauren National Park, in Malnitz. I know I am the only American to have ever hiked down this steep rocky passage over the mountain ridge that we conquered today. In fact, only three people do it each year--the glacial surveyors. It is too dangerous for the general public. Last year, Andreas broke his thumb on this very passage. Imagine walking down a 40 degree slope of marbles, broken glass, and boulders the size of baby rhinos. Well, there were no rhinos, glass or marbles, only the most unstable non-uniform rock slope you could find. We survived it. I fell three times, leaving me only with a large scrape on my ass, a torn achille's tendon and raw feet. I am lucky to have nothing worse--like Andreas' ripped webbing between his thumb and hand. This was also just only one of the physically difficult tasks we were approached with each day.

Each new event I survive makes me live harder and happier every day. I am not religious, but God, mountain, marmot, breeze--Thank You for looking after me. I appreciate you for giving me this wonderful world to explore."

On the sixth day, only three of us left (others went back on the fourth day), we were faced with another equally difficult nearly-vertical rock climb of about 100 meters, with backpacks and very tired bodies. This was also the hardest day for me physically with an enflamed achille's tendon, but I fought through the pain, surveyed two glaciers, and made it safely down the mountain in one piece.
I got to ride up in this beautiful Lotus Elise, owned by a fellow volunteer surveyor, Horst. I have never had my heart palpitate so much while inside a vehicle. I now have a new reason to become rich someday.

First day, arriving at the Villacher Hütte, carrying all our equipment up 1200 m, not so easy.

Villacher Hütte, 150 years old. We stayed here for two nights.

Glacial cracks in the Holchamkees


Rock Climbing up to the Holchamspitze, the pinnacle point for all the six glaciers.

Using the Total Station to measure the distance of glacial melt.

Andreas and I about to glacial climb for 400 m or so.

A storm hit us at the top of a ridge right after a very hard glacial climb. Then we had to rock climb down in a thunderstorm with hail and all our equipment. We had three and a half more hours and 600 m of elevation to go until we got to the next Hutte. VERY long day.

Another Glacier on the 4th day.

5th day, this is where I fell three times. It gets steeper than what is pictured.

Celler Hütte, made in 1963.

Existential writing is best on top of mountains.

Last BIG rock climb, while on an enflamed achille's tendon. At the top it was near vertical and but there was a 50 year old steel rope part of the way that could assist us with our climbing.

Last point marked on the entire trip by Horst.


I think I will do this trip a few more times in the future until the glaciers are gone! Anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment